This little dandy came from a magazine I picked up a few months ago (Family Circle – April 2007, page 131). This was an easy and quick dish that the family enjoyed and it was surprisingly filling. It may not be my favorite on this site, but it was definitely worth making again. Feel free to tweak the recipe up some to fit your tastes. It claims to be “REDUCED FAT”, so that second helping might not be so bad after all.
1 pound egg fettuccine or combination egg and spinach
2 cups fat-free half-and-half (sorry, but we opted for the high-calorie stuff)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (this is where they caught me… I love nutmeg)
1/2 cup shredded Asiago cheese (we used Muenster)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 3/4 lb jumbo shrimp, shelled and divined (we used cubed, pan-fried chicken in butter, pepper and garlic salt instead)
Additional Asiago cheese (we used Parmesan) and fresh basil for garnish if desired
1. Bring pot to boil, salt and boil over high heat. Prepare pasta according to package. Stir frequently, drain.
2. Meanwhile, mix 1/4 cup of the half-and-half with cornstarch; stir well and set aside. In medium sized sauce-pan, add remaining half-and-half and place over medium high heat. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt and nutmeg. Bring to simmer and stir in cornstarch mixture; cook for 30 seconds or until slightly thickened.
3. Take sauce off heat and whisk until smooth. Stir in peas. Keep warm.
4. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp (or chicken) and cook with 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt for 3 minutes per side or until cooked through (if you use chicken, also use dash of pepper on both sides of chicken as you cook). Stir cream mixture into skillet when meat is done. Add pasta and toss to coat.
5. Serve immediately with additional cheese. Garnish with basil if desired. Goes great with iced tea, salad and a nutty whole-wheat crusty bread with butter.
Subscribe to Gathering Manna by Email
Technorati Tags: Italian, recipe, Shrimp, food, meal, dinner, Chicken, seafood, noodles, pasta, cooking, delicious, Alfredo, peas